Friday, September 4, 2009

Gulfshore Blvd @ 5th Ave South






If you notice in the picture at all the beach ends there were no touristy looking wood boardwalks or bushes. No rules no regulations & no parking meters just open ends to the gulf. I believe (and don't hold me to this) that the flashing light that used to be at 5th Ave & Gulfshore Blvd was put there because someone drove down 5th & into the gulf. I'll have to check my sources but they haven't let me down yet.
Map link to house on the beach at 5th Ave South.
http://tinyurl.com/kjcbja
Photo taken September 17th 1968
Photo courtesy of the Les Whitaker Jr. family.

3 comments:

  1. Did they ever figure out who it was, in the car? Or any reason why? Heart attack? Stroke-out? Crazed lunatic?

    My goodness, I don't remember this story. I must have been on one of my "I'm gettin-out-a-this-town for awhile, ventures. I was in New Mexico in the early 80's.

    Thanks for the interesting info.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Officer Ken Ferrell's back looking at the gulf

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture shows a pier at the end of 3rd Street South. Today is only pilings. I visit Naples a few times a year, and stay at White Sands (on 3rd street south & 3rd Ave) and was wondering what happend to that pier, and when was it destroyed? Said picture was in 1968, even though the news article was from the early eighties.

    ReplyDelete