Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Collier County Sheriff EA Doug Hendry




Growing up in Naples in the 60's & 70's if there was one person that loomed larger than life it was EA Doug Hendry. To begin with the EA stood for Eldridge Albert a little known fact I always wondered about but never knew.I recently was lent his personal files and got to browse through them & am overwhelmed by the magnitude of this man. These 2 military photos are taken from those files & give a little glimpse into his life before policing Collier County. I guess what sticks out in my mind would be him at the Swamp Buggy races in his sheriff's shirt, blue jeans & cowboy boots. Not to mention him starting the races by firing his pistol (loaded with live rounds) in the air. If I didn't know better I would have to say that its all some kind of weird dream. In this day & age it really doesn't seem like it could have ever happened...
Also in these photo's are Doug's military dog tag.
Thanks to Doug Hendry Jr. & Golf Course Homeboy

4 comments:

  1. One of your greatest achievements, Brer Brookside Homeboy, of many. And just when I thought your website was going Boring Candy Ass Naples Before Everybody Else Moved Here and Kissed D**** R******'s Fat A** with that Panther Crybaby yearbook. Eat Naples Middle School would have destroyed Naples Junior High in any kind of war. But Wow!!!!!! I can't quit staring at these photos of the bad mother. Do you have any pics of E.A. getting wasted at the Bindlstiff Tavern? You can't post enough pictures of the Sheriff! The Anti-Sheriff Andy Taylor.
    --Royal Harbor Homeboy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of Doug Hendry. He really seemed larger than life and played a large part in Naples history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met Doug Hendry when he came to visit my family in western North Carolina. He and my father were good friends and they shared many tales of Doug's life as a lawman, the swamp buggy races, and his incredible skill with firearms. He was really a man larger than life and left a big impression! Marc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Doug Hendry years ago when he came to visit our family in western NC. He and my father were good friends and shared many tales of life in the old days including the swamp buggy races. Marc

    ReplyDelete