Monday, February 15, 2010

Collier County Sheriff's #2 #3 & #4




Above you'll see a photo of Collier County Sheriff Louis Thorpe, deputy Roy Atkins & & young new deputy Doug Hendry. Collier County's 1st sheriff was W R Maynard, the 2nd was Thorpe that died of a heart attack at age 59. Atkins was his under deputy & took over command & served out his term. I believe he ran against Doug Hendry the 1st time & beat him by seven votes. Doug ran again & won & I can kind of grasp the story from that point on. The second scan is Doug's honorable discharge papers. And here's a totally unknown fact to me on line 33 are his WWII decorations & citations. He served in Normandy & received 5 Bronze Stars & a Purple Heart for his time served there. Doug kicked some serious butt way before becoming sheriff that wasn't a projected image he was the real deal. Thanks for all you did EA!
Again thanks to Doug Hendry Jr. & Golf Course Homeboy
PS: Watch this blog toward the end of the month I've got the COOLEST piece of Collierbilia that I've come across so far! It's over the top!

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Great photo of Collier's sheriffs. I love this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone know where this picture was taken? Looks like Everglades City to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought so too, Circle3. This is amazing stuff! Good job, blog master of the universe.

    Lakeparkhomegirl

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Tip of The Hat" to E.A. "Doug" Hendry, our other Sheriffs from "back in the day", and to you Brookside Homeboy for turning us on to another great piece of history.

    I'm looking forward to your next slice of "Collierblia".

    Seagate Homeboy
    NHS Class of '67
    10:12 p.m. PST

    ReplyDelete