Thursday, November 12, 2009

City Dock (part deux)


This was taken in the late 60’s from a Cove Inn balcony. Two small structures are the Dock Master’s “office” on the right and bathrooms on the left. The flat-roof houseboat is tied up at the site of the future gas dock. The long low white roof covering the boat slips was removed a few years later to accommodate taller boats and as a maintenance issue; the roof over the slips on the right war later removed as well. Royal Harbor is visible on the far side of Naples Bay.

1 comment:

  1. In 1974 I returned to Naples after a year of bumming around Europe. Finding that I could not tolerate living with my parents, Mike Erickson volunteered his sailboat - an old gaff rigg that he kept at the City Dock and only took out occasionally. I ended up an illegal live aboard for about 6 months while I came down from culture shock and tried to figure out what to do. Dock life was very cool and I'm sure the Dock Master was on to me but somehow saw fit to let me slide. I still remember the feeling of being rocked to sleep by that boat and I remain grateful to Mike for letting me crash there. Life was pretty simple then. A sleeping bag, a few dishes, a bicycle for cruising down to the beach and a no brainer job to cover minimal living expenses. I think I can hear the seagulls now.

    ReplyDelete