Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The City Dock


No story here, but it's a cool picture. The city dock was off the beaten path. If you walked anywhere off 5th Avenue or 41 as I did, that's all you would do is WALK! You had to stay on the main drag to catch a ride.

How about "Add Your 2 Cents" if you can can do better than this lets post it?

" . . . every picture tells a story don't it . . ."

Might be slow here for a little while I had to run my beer can mom to the hospital last night so hang in there folks!

Seagate Homeboy to the rescue ! I've got a story . . . er. at least a long caption.

"Crayton Cove", looks like the mid-50s.

Imagine that the "Cove Inn" complex was a sand lot with no seawalls, just the bay water lapping on the mud shore.

There was the "Sportspot Marina" on the left as you walk off the dock. On the right was a mud bar, and a little cinder-block building to the right that would become Schryver and Associates in the mid-60s, only to yield to "The Dock Restaurant" in the mid-70s. The long, low building seen beyond the end of the dock is the "Old Cove" restaurant which was a local gathering spot/watering hole for decades.

There was a "day cruise" aboard an old 40 foot wooden powerboat named "Helvetia II". She was operated from the dock by "Skipper and Missy Pond". Here's a picture from my personal stash dated 1958.

The day cruise went into "The 10,000 Islands" and did a stop at the island home of Roy Ozmer, "Hermit of The Everglades".

It was very cool for a 9 year old.

p.s. You don't have to have an account of any kind to "Add your 2 cents".

You can post as "Anonymous". If you get an error message when you click "preview" or "publish, it's not you, it's the software. Don't freak out!!! Click on it again.

If you like, you can compose and edit in your computer's word processor or even in your e-mail's compose screen, then copy/paste it into the box (in the event the comment box unceremoniously flushes your carefully worded composition, you will still have your original). SH


2 comments:

  1. Homeboy, I didn't know I wasn't suppose to use names. Yikes! Sorry, I think I used a few. Pardon to anyone I may have offended by doing so. So Sorry.

    Lakepark Homegirl, or Tara. Don't mind if you use my name, I love to see my name in print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought my 2 cents should point out that Skipper and Missy Pond operated the 50' Helvetia II for day trips to Little Marco (Keywadin) Pass. Nice to see the photos and know you enjoyed your trip. A Pond grandchild. SUE

    ReplyDelete