Saturday, January 16, 2010
West Gordon River Bridge & Naples Bay
Interesting in this photo (at least to me) is the Direct gas station & you ask why Homeboy is that interesting? Before it was built walking home at night was a truly dark, creepy experience. After it was built it was a little like a Disney World trip with a megaton of light, a snack & soda machine. In 60's Naples it really didn't take much for a "We have arrived" next stop, New York type head trip. But in retrospect look at where that has got this pretty little town now. If you ever walked home on the east trail you'll probably remember these HUGE (like maybe 6 inches long) cockroach looking, it came from outer space, bugs. They were attracted to the lights on the bridges. They would always be all over the sidewalk & street making this god awful, death screeching, wing flapping noise. Similar to local politicians these days when you say your sick of more new taxes...
PS: A little shout out to my friend Brent Collins he worked at that gas station wherever you are my friend here's to you!
Photo taken August 18th 1968
Courtesy of the Les Whitaker Jr. family.
My Back Pages
- ► 2009 (161)
- Some Elwood Starn Trivia
- Carter Miller Band & Inside Andy's Steakhouse
- Lowdermilk Park Lake Before It Went High Falutin'
- Typical 70's Afternoon Showers
- Lowdermilk Park Lifeguard
- Tropics Drive In & 41 Construction
- Lake Park Homegirl's Blog
- Driving In From The East
- Golden Gate City Of The Future?
- West Gordon River Bridge & Naples Bay
- Jungle Larry & Safari Jane
- Bindle Stiff Bartenders
- Bay Terrace Condo & Naples Bay 1969
- NPD in the early 60's
- Did someone say Jr. Deputy ?
- The Viking Tavern . . .
- Before the DC-3s . . .
- The Naples Pier
- ▼ January (18)