Friday, September 25, 2009

Swamp Buggy Jail 1965


Can you name any of these women? The only one I can spot is Patti Loach front center outside the jail with the Wesleyan sweatshirt on. I remember watching the parade on my bicycle & the jail guards would spot someone without a badge or a swamp buggy buck & manhandle the hell out of them & put them in the jail. This was no sissyfest I mean it was a borderline ass whippin' spectacle the perp (I must watch too many cop shows) would basically get pounded pretty bad if he resisted & have to ride the rest of the parade in this jail while the whole town got a laugh. They finally had to stop doing it due to injuries & lawsuits (gee, like that hasn't screwed up everything fun). The jail would usually get stolen right before the parade & there would be a huge manhunt for it everywhere.
***** 5 Star comments here!

3 comments:

  1. I think some of these lovelies were Swamp Buddy Queen contestants. I recognize Molly Nelson Bryan on the outside of cage on left, Penny Salmon on the outside of the cage right. Also, Mary Lou Till is on Patty Loach's left. I also recognized Beverly Vice and Sherry Ison in the middle.

    Whit's sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I spot an Iammurri sister, I'm not sure which one, third from the left from the cutsie checkered topped dress.

    Lake Park Home Girl
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Jaycees used to bring the “Jail” to the home football game the Friday before the “races” and parade it around the running track at half-time; that is perhaps when this picture was taken. I seem to recall being there, as I never missed a football game, and was dating Patti Loach at the time.

    I must mention that is not Molly Nelson Bryan but her older sister Betty (I had a thing for Betty back then, but alas, I was an underclassman and she only had eyes for Dave).

    The following is what I had typed before I went back & re-read the first few comments:

    I can name a few right off the top. The first two kneeling are Mary Lou Till, and of course Patti Loach (Wesleyan shirt), both NHS class of ’67.

    Hanging off the left end and right ends respectively are Betty Nelson and Penny Salmon both NHS ’66, and peering out from the hole in the bars (front right center) is Sherry Ison NHS ’66. Above Sherry & to the right is Carol Henson ’66. Row two 5th from left (inside bars) is Donna Dzingleski '66.

    Yup, looks like an Iamurri look in there; I think she is the oldest sister and graduated around ‘64

    Penny Salmon went on to be crowned “Swamp Buggy Queen” probably on Saturday night shortly after this picture was made.

    On a somewhat related note: Did anyone ever find out who stole the jail & rolled it out on the pier? Hmmmmm?

    A couple of years later, it was heisted from just outside the north end zone a few hours after the game (it was chained to a tree – duhhh!) and hidden just inside the gate at the Frank property less that half a mile from the “scene of the crime”. The Jaycees were afraid they wouldn’t get it back in time for the parade on Saturday ‘til someone dropped a dime. No, it wasn’t me!

    (They’d have never found it).

    Ahhh, Tradition . . .

    Seagate Homeboy

    ReplyDelete