Monday, September 21, 2009

Whole Lotta Coughing Goin' On


Lowdermilk Park being gassed down by the mosquito fogger truck. Gotta admit there was a ton of stupid kids in this town including me. I mean lets be real how close did you have to get your bicycle to that bazooka pipe blowin' out all that death gas? And they say my generations problems were drug related? Maybe they should get one of these Jeeps & put it at the county museum after all every kids followed their trucks closely. I remember a blue yellow flame shot out of the death pipe about 4 feet one time & ended my hobby as a close follower. The only other thing in town that shocked your senses any worst was trying to use the bathrooms at the pier....

4 comments:

  1. The "Bug Truck" was one of my favorite highlights as a kid in Naples. It was a one of a kind activity.Once we heard the hum of the machine coming,my parents use to let us leave the dinner table to chase the truck on our bikes. It was cool riding through the fog. I'm not sure what the fog was but were all still alive. I think it was kerosene. Whatever it was we enjoyed the smell.



    Posted by Jim B to The Real Naples at September 22, 2009 11:23 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would follow the fogger around in Sorento Gardens humming the theme to Combat pretending we were in a smoke screen sneaking up on nazi's. Our "platoon" consited at various times of, the Debusmans (Tad and Kyle), The Devilles (Skeeter and Andy), the Hoffmans (Tom and Steve), Mike Witt, Doug Grondahl, and various others. We were also pretty good at pine cone fights versus Twin Lakes and Pine Ridge. Anytime they cleared a lot to build a house in Sorento they would knock down the pine trees and a bulldozer would push them into a pile. It might be a couple of weeks before they did anything to move the trees(I can remember them burning them, try that now) so we would pick up the cones and it would become our ammo. Then we made the knocked down trees our fort. You were okay if the pine cone was brown, but if you got hit with a green one that hadn't opened up yet, man they hurt.

    Whit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Whit...there must have been a Mark Brandon, Brad Held or Mark Doeding in that group, who all lived in Sorrento Gardens at that time.

    Boy Scout meetings (68-69) at the old Moose Lodge (PR-41) and Jacks Corner Pocket/the old laundry mat) (73-75) next to the old 7-11....?!?!?!?

    Circle3Ranch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I lived on 9th ave so in 65-72 we chased the foggin truck so many times to this day no mosquitos even come near me! I got smart after a while and rode with a diving mask but I guess I'll always have those little twitches and convultions

    ReplyDelete