Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Seagate near the beach, then and now . . .


Not much goin' on in 1959. The canal had been "draglined" a little but there were no seawalls. The little beach house was pretty cool; not much more than a roof, frame walls and jalousie windows (it was essentially blown away in "Donna"). The road was private, there was even a gate and a sign that said "members only". The beach was free though, and a few people would park at the gate and walk. When I say a few, I mean a few a week!!! The gate was visible from my mom's kitchen window and she kinda kept tabs on the comings and goings.

I can still remember the sound of the breeze through those Australian Pines . . . .


Flash forward 50 years . . .


(Tip o' the hat to Brookside Homeboy for helping me with the math, I thought it was only 40 years! Sigh . . . it seems like yesterday).

Yeah, It was pretty neat 50 years ago . . . .

Seagate Homeboy
NHS Class of '67

1 comment:

  1. How sad! Mangroves were dredged when some of those condos were built, they were supposed to be protected. Our third house in Seagate was on Seahorse Av; my dad took pictures of the dredged mangroves from our backyard...


    The Donna that hit Seagat before the hurricane,

    ReplyDelete